Friday 22 November 2013

Haiku

Haiku is a form of Japanese poetry. It is supposed to have nature or emotions as a theme and should be 17 syllables long. These syllables are normally divided between three lines to a rhythm of 5 - 7 - 5. 

This is very easy in Japanese but can get a bit tricky when tried in different languages and so the rules tend to bend.

Some time ago I challenged the family to a haiku competition. Any theme, whatever came into their heads to write about. The results were amazing, to say the least, and haiku poetry took off. For some days it was all we used to communicate to each other. All instructions, news, anything, was given out in haiku form. It got our brains to work and we had such fun.

I thought I would publish some examples here on my blog (but I'm not going to publish who all the authors were!):

This is a haiku
It doesn't make any sense
Refrigerator.

P. saw his neighbour.
Guess, then, what he said to him.
He said, "Oh, hi Q".

Early one weekday morning...

Anna you must rise,
It's time for school, you realize,
Please, don't make us late.      

To which Anna replied:

No, no, no, no, no,
No, no, no, no, no, no, no,
No, no, no, no, no!

1 comment:

A.J. said...

Srsly, Mum, when I went to school I was the first one up and hardly ever made time trouble. Per què em dónes mala fama? :P