Monday 25 November 2013

Munchy Monday #22: Cabbage and potato stir fry

I post this particular "munchy" out of popular request from the family. The other day I made it for supper and they enjoyed it soooo much.

You will need:

Smokey bacon pieces
Cooked boiled potato, chopped small
Cooked boiled cabbage, chopped small
Small clove garlic, crushed (or equivalent)*
Salt and pepper
Oil to fry

Method:

Gently fry the bacon pieces until they are beginning to crisp. Add crushed garlic, stir and then add the cabbage and potato. Gently fry for 5 to 7 minutes, turning regularly. Season to taste.

Serve on it's own as a starter or accompanied by meat or fish as a complete meal.
 

When I was small my Mum used to prepare something similar. It was called "bubble and squeak" for some reason, but it did not have the bacon or garlic. This dish should also include white haricot beans, but as we eat plenty of pulses already I did not include them in this recipe.

* I buy garlic in trays of frozen cubes, each cube represents one clove. You can also use garlic powder but this hardens very quickly here and so I tend to stay away from it.

No comments: