Monday 23 November 2015

Cassie's blueberry tea cake

This is an absolutely delicious cake - one that we enjoyed for dessert yesterday lunchtime! Cassie is a bloggie friend and mother of nine from down under. She posted it on her blog a while ago. I have subsequently tweaked it a little to suit product availability and I've also renamed the cake in her honour.

O.K. so I could have made sure the cake was in the centre of the plate before taking the photo...

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 cup  sugar
1 lemon, juice and grated rind
125 g butter or margarine
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1/4 cup dessicated coconut
1 2/3 cups self raising flour, sifted
1 punnet fresh blueberries (or canned blueberries, well drained)

Method:
1. Mix sugar and lemon rind in a bowl.
2. Add butter, eggs, lemon juice, coconut and vanilla essence. Mix well.
3. Add flour and fold into mixture.
4. Pour batter into a greased oven dish, cake molde or similar.
5. Sprinkle blueberries over the top of the batter.
6. Bake at 170º C for 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick comes out clean.
7. Sprinkle sugar over the top of the cake and leave to cool. When cold, remove  from dish and serve with cream (optional!)

      
Notes

# I prefer to use plain or all-purpose flour and add a chemical raising agent or natural yeast.
# I use a sachet of vanilla flavoured sugar instead of the essence, which I
cannot find as a regular product as yet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the blueberries? This cake looks yummy! :D

Lady Violet said...

Dear Anonymous.
I buy mine in ALDI, but this will obviously depend on where you live!

Anonymous said...

Aha! I thought so, I even told my hub it might be so. Pity we don't have one of those near by. All the same, I will try! Save me a tiny piece just in case!

XXX

(Nina isn't interested. It's the season for mandarins and oranges again!)

Lady Violet said...

Dearest Anonymouse

You might try pine nuts or using orange juice and rind instead of the lemon and then put crushed walnuts over the top...
Just a couple of suggestions. xx