Thursday 23 January 2014

Homophones

As you might or might not know, I like language and words and having fun with both.

Homophones are words which sound the same when spoken but can differ in their spelling and will differ in their meaning. The English language is stuffed with homophones, maybe more than others, but you only realize this when you are teaching it as a second language!

The following little rhyme is one I used to teach my kiddos when studying homophones. It gives a fine example of just what they are.

Dr. Bell fell down the well 
And broke his collar bone!
Doctors should attend the sick 
And leave the well alone!


Now read this joke through. It's one of my favourites!

Now, there's a bunch of fish in a tank and one says to another, "Does anyone know how to drive this thing?"





I think I'll leave it there! Have a nice day : )

1 comment:

LSEP said...

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. (Groucho Marx)