Thursday 14 March 2013

Homeschool quotes

As many of you already know, we are homeschoolers. We were blessed with this opportunity seven years ago, and have never regretted for one moment this "sacrifice" of time and energy we have been able to spend teaching our family.

I thought I would post a few of my favourite quotes about this subject and, searching in the internet one morning, I was amazed at the quantity of famous people who were schooled likewise.


“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” ~Benjamin Franklin


  “Much depends, as is allowed, upon the early education of youth, and the first principles which are instilled take the deepest root.” ~Abigail Adams


 “To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.” ~Theodore Roosevelt


 “I believe it would be much better for everyone if children were given their start in education at home. No one understands a child as well as his mother, and children are so different that they need individual training and study. A teacher with a room full of pupils cannot do this. At home, too, they are in their mother’s care. She can keep them from learning immoral things from other children.” ~Laura Ingalls Wilder


  “Schools have not necessarily much to do with education... they are mainly institutions of control, where basic habits must be inculcated in the young. Education is quite different and has little place in school.” ~Winston Churchill


  “Home is the best place for teaching many things, first and most important of which is how to think for one's self.” ~Laura Ingalls Wilder


 

No comments: