Tuesday 24 September 2013

Board games and card games - Part 1

For more than thirty years now I have been working and living with children. All sorts of children from all sorts of walks of life and all different ages. I must say that this gives lead to some very fair thoughts and conclusions about how children are living their modern lives, full of the wonders of advanced  technology. (O.K. so I am being ironic!)

Over time I have realized that so many people belittle the importance of playing games. Real games. Games which involve more than one person and do not need buttons or batteries. More than once I have heard the following or similar:

"I thought you would help my child because he/she is not doing well at school and he/she comes away from your house telling me she has been playing a memory game for I don't know how long. How come you aren't giving him/her maths problems to solve or making her practice her spelling, etc?"

My general answer goes along these lines:

"Please let me explain. Before you can run you have to know how to walk! Games are a very important part of one's development. These days the kiddos are missing out on this stage of their lives."

So, here is a list I have made up of the reasons why board games and card games are so important. The reasons are not in any particular order as I stress that each reason is as important as any other.

# They strengthen relationships within the family and give opportunities for parents to spend precious time with their children.
# It demonstrates the importance of obedience to a certain set of rules which have to be followed in a particular order.
# They build up self confidence as each player, in general, will work alone.
# Children will learn how to make their own decisions and take responsibility for the consequences of that decision.
# They encourage dedication to finish or complete something which has been started.
# They develop concentration.
# They encourage learning and the art of bettering oneself.
# Children learn how to think and act fast.
# They stimulate physical and psychological coordination.
# They increase vocabulary.
# They develop the art of communication and strengthen social skills.
# They help the little ones understand how to play fair.
# Playing games like these is a way to have good, clean fun which, in actual fact, is more important than it may first seem.
# Parents will have control over what the children are doing with their time. This is something which I consider to be very important.

Part 2 will be about games which, as a family, we have played and enjoyed and that I can recommend to you all.

3 comments:

Eliweski said...

Loved it! Looking forward to the games post. We should play games more as a family, I admit. Love from all!

Kirsty said...

I look forward to part 2. We like playing games a lot too.
Kirsty x

LSEP said...

My husband and I learnt a card game called "Crazy Eights" which is dead simple and great fun. We love it. .D

I'll tell you more about it in an upcoming phonecall!