Thursday 26 September 2013

Malapropisms

Do you know what they are? I didn't until a few minutes ago, but we use them all the time in daily speech. My teenagers are uttering these things continuously. I thought they were just plain freaky, but it seems that this is quite normal!

What is a malapropism? Well, before I explain I had better put the wash on, otherwise it won't dry!!!

Malapropisms are sentences, phrases, or more often, exclamations, which have a language twist in them that makes perfect sense to the person who said them but may be a little confusing to the listener. Here are a few of my favourites taken from a list that I saw in internet, the address of which I will disclose at a later date, as I'm not done yet!

Include me out!
This feels like a deja vu all over again.
That restaurant is so crowded, nobody goes there anymore.
The future isn't what it used to be.
A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.
This is so well written, one can hardly comprehend it.
Predictions about the future are difficult.
You can observe a lot by watching.
When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Although I know little about this style of speech, I imagine it is a result of one's mind working quicker than one's mouth. Also, I guess it could be a result of a person speaking impromptu under certain tension with no guidelines to help them... O.K.  I give over!

Here are some more I found once in an English magazine, in our library here:

I have made good judgements in the past, I have made good judgements in the future.

I believe that we are on an irreversible trend toward democracy and more freedom, but that could change.

I think we can agree. The past is over.

Now I will tell you a story. It's a true story that happened a few years ago, right here at our supper table and is a fine example of a malapropism.

Our 18 year old niece was staying with us at the time and the subject we were all discussing was who she could marry. Well, as we were all mentally running through the list of eligibles, somebody suggested  **********.
"Arghhh, no" exclaimed E. "I would commit suicide!" Then, how about **********?" suggested somebody else. "Arghhhhhhhh, no," screamed E., "I'd commit suicide even more!"

Well, of course we all knew what she meant, but it did sound so funny. In fact it has gone down in family history! Now, our dear niece is happily married to Mr. Everthingshehaseverwanted and they have two gorgeous little blondies who, by the way, are being homeschooled.

So, now you know what they are, think over your speech and see how many malapropisms you say daily without realizing that it has a technical name!
Send me some examples and let's have some fun!

6 comments:

A.J. said...

I suggest we make a family book out of the ones we've said along the way. :P

LSEP said...

"You'd be very clever if you weren't so silly". We all know where this one comes from.

From a professor at uni: "If plans are not drawn correctly, it is more difficult to manufacture a part, making the part a hundred times more expensive when it could be... a hundred times cheaper!"

If I remember more along the way, I'll let you know.

Lady Violet said...

I remember saying "I've always got to do something before I do anything in this house!" Well, it's true and I know what I mean.

LSEP said...

Hmm... I do too, now! ^^

"For this practical session, you have to group in pairs of two people." From another professor at uni.

Lady Violet said...

M. was explaining something about a game of goodies vs. baddies with Lego at the weekend. I overheard, "you can't do that. I'm the ruler of the world around here."

Lady Violet said...

Dear L. It was lovely to hear your smile on the telephone... O.K. I said it without thinking!