Tuesday 15 July 2014

Childhood memories...




Bed in Summer
 
 In winter I get up at night 
And dress by yellow candle - light.
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day. 

I have to go to bed and see 
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
 When all the sky is clear and blue, 
And I should like so much to play, 
To have to go to bed by day?

Robert Louis Stephenson


Oh, this brings back memories of when I small and not so small and had to go to bed at 7:30. I used to lay awake listening to the blackbird singing in our garden, the neighbours busy in theirs and my friends playing ball on the green out the back. I have never understood why I had to go so early when I lay and fidgeted until my sister would come up at 10:00 pm. I always thought it was such an enormous waste of hours. Many was the day I had a book hidden under the bed...

No comments: