Tuesday 8 July 2014

How I do it: The laundry

Laundry routine:

- Monday - clothes + boy's bed linen (2 beds)
- Tuesday - shower towels, kitchen cloths and napkins, soft toys, cushion covers, extra blankets, kitchen chair cushions, school bags, jackets, etc.
- Wednesday - clothes + girl's bed linen
- Thursday - clothes + our bed linen
- Friday - clothes + boy's bed linen (other 2 beds)
- Saturday - university boy's clothes, towels, etc.

I hang all my laundry to dry outside. I use clothes driers in the winter. This way, if it rains (seldom) or if it is very windy (often), I just leave them in the sun porch. If necessary, I bring them in by the wood stove to dry over night. I have a tumble drier but I only use it for emergencies as it is very expensive to run. Sunshine and fresh air is free!


First, I sort the items into piles - dark, bright, white, towels and bed linen. Then I choose the biggest pile to wash first. If the pile is too big for a correct machine load I split it and put some in with, say, a bed linen wash or whatever I see is going to make up a load, without mixing colours. If I don't have enough to make a load I wait till another day.

I use a good quality liquid soap - Ariel - and vinegar as a softener (more about that in another post). Since I have been using this combination I haven't had to use any other type of stain remover.

My washing machine is in the downstairs bathroom, it has the tumble drier sitting on top of it.

Since I started this post months back, the situation at home has changed somewhat.  My university boy moved to a different apartment and now does his own laundry washes and my second daughter has married and left home. This meant a change in the quantities and now I mix loads a little more. In September there will be another university boy which means I'll have to adapt once again.

At least this gives you some idea of our laundry routine, if you are interested in that kind of info. I must admit the whole thing of actually organizing laundry was an idea I got from a M.O.M.* in the States a good while back and I thank her for sharing her experiences with others. It helped me a great deal, for sure.

*M.O.M. means Mother Of Many

3 comments:

Annie said...

Mine is white and coloured on Mon, towels Tues, coloured Wed, bed Thurs, Fri eve or Sat morn all the bike stuff ready for Mon!

A.J. said...

When I tried to figure out a weekly schedule for my house duties, I had a problem trying to solve the laundry subject, as we're only two! So I figured that on Tuesday I would do all the laundry accumulated during the week (separating whites, darks and colours) and on Wednesday change bed and towels and wash with them whatever's left from the previous day.

You see, I decided on changing beds on Wednesday because we arrived here on a Tuesday night and by Wednesday we'd already slept seven nights on it. :P

Lady Violet said...

Dear A.J.
Mmmm, I THINK I know what you mean :)